The route itself is a 168 Km (104.4 miles in real money) jaunt around the highest mountain range in the Alps, with a crazy elevation profile giving us 9,600 m (31,500 ft - bloody Europeans...) over the entire route and hitting a maximum altitude of 2,500 m (8,200 ft) above sea level. So there's a few hills to worry about. Can't wait!
|Start of the 2009 UTMB - that's a whole lot of people! (From www.petzl.com)|
- Don't die (let's just assume this is always my top priority for future races, eh?)
- Finish the race
- Finish the race in the top 100
- Finish the race in under 30 hours
I have now finished packing my kit and thought that I would make a note of what equipment I will be using:
- Salomon Advanced Skin S-lab 12 L running pack (I decided to use the 12 L rather than the 5 L due to the essential kit that you have to carry)
- Montane Minimus waterproof jacket
- Montane Minimus waterproof pants
- Garmin Forerunner 305 watch (with the route uploaded, although it is so well marked I may not bother using this)
- Salomon Speedcross 3 trail shoes
- Drymax Lite trail running socks
- Nike Pro Combat compression shorts (useful to avoid chaffing)
- Nike Drifit running shorts
- More Mile running top (long or short sleeved depending on weather)
- Duracell USB phone chargers (my iPhone won't last anywhere near the whole way around!)
- Buffs (one as a bandana, one on my wrist as a sweat band)
- Petzl Tikka Plus 2 head torch
- Ronhill warm hat
- Warm waterproof gloves (can't remember the make)
- Ronhill long sleeved top
- iPod stuffed full of music, podcasts, and Steven King's The Stand.
- UltraSpire Isomeric Pocket handheld bottle (although I'll probably just use a simple 500 ml bottle in my pack instead of carrying this the whole way)
- Sea to Summit X-Mug (to use as a personal cup)
- Mountain King Trail Blaze trekking poles (if I can get them on the plane...)
- I'm in Chamonix until Monday whatever happens. Why not spend my time out in the mountains?!
- I'll have to find my own way back to Chamonix if I pull out, which will probably be more effort than just running there!
- If I pull out, I'll have to sort myself out for food. If I stay in the race I can feast on checkpoint food. Noms!
- I may never get another chance to do this...